Tuesday, June 23, 2020

poisoned by carbon monoxide

In daily life, the lack of preventive measures for household fire, heating, and bathing is the main cause of carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is almost insoluble in water. After entering the human body, the affinity with hemoglobin in the body is 300 times higher than that of oxygen, so that hemoglobin loses the ability and role of carrying oxygen, and has a toxic effect on tissues and cells throughout the body, especially the cerebral cortex.

In the early stage of the poisoning, it only appeared as a headache, and then symptoms such as dizziness, vertigo, nausea, palpitation, weakness of the limbs, and cherry red on the skin and mucous membranes. When people realize that carbon monoxide poisoning has occurred, it is often too late. Because the cerebral cortex that dominates human movement is first damaged by paralysis, making it impossible for people to achieve purposeful autonomous movement. At this time, the poisoned person still had a clear consciousness in his mind and wanted to open the doors and windows to escape, but his hands and feet were no longer obedient. Therefore, people with carbon monoxide poisoning are often unable to perform effective self-help.

When someone is found to be poisoned by carbon monoxide, the rescuer must quickly follow the following procedures:

Because carbon monoxide is slightly lighter than air, it floats on the upper floors. When rescuers enter and evacuate the scene, it will be safer to crawl. It is strictly forbidden to carry an open flame when entering the room, especially in the case of open gas suicide. If the indoor gas concentration is too high, the electric sparks generated by ringing the doorbell or turning on the indoor light can cause an explosion.

After entering the room, all ventilated doors and windows should be opened quickly. If the gas source can be found and discharged quickly, it should be controlled at the same time, such as turning off the gas switch, etc., but it must not delay time for this, because saving people is more important.

Then quickly take the poisoned person out of the room filled with carbon monoxide, move to a ventilated and warm place and lie down, untie the collar and belt to facilitate their breathing and smoothness. At the same time, call an ambulance, ready to be sent to the hospital with a hyperbaric oxygen chamber for rescue.

In the process of waiting for the vehicle to be transported, the head of the unconscious patient can be tilted to one side to prevent vomit from being inhaled into the lungs and causing suffocation. In order to promote their sobriety, they can use acupuncture or nails to pinch their acupoints. If it is still not breathing, mouth-to-mouth artificial respiration should be started immediately. It must be noted that the effect of this artificial respiration on patients with carbon monoxide poisoning is far less than the treatment of hyperbaric oxygen chambers in hospitals. Therefore, patients with deep coma should not be based on on-site rescue, but should be sent to the hospital as soon as possible, but artificial respiration should never be stopped on the way to the hospital to ensure oxygen supply to the brain and prevent cerebral nerves caused by hypoxia Irreversible necrosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment